Friday, November 26, 2010

Wish You Were Here



I adore the "Boring Postcards" series by photographer Martin Parr.

The series offers three, small books, not much bigger than the size of a postcard itself.

I bought my first book in the series several years ago and thought it was a collection of incredibly dull, vintage postcards, however, it turned out that each is the creation of the very clever Mr. Parr. Which seems a remarkable feat in styling when you consider the great eye for detail it took to achieve each and every "bland" postcard.

While I suppose they might be, for some, little more than coffee table material, the series of books induce an almost meditative effect as you skim through their pages, occasionally fixating on some seemingly old and overly saturated postcard.

Unfortunately, the books are now out of print, but if you happen upon one, I wouldn't pass it up--it's a fun browse and an interesting addition to your book collection.





No comments:

Post a Comment